We started with measurement activities using non-standard units, like hands, feet, blocks and counters. We showed that we had grasped the idea of measuring with these units, and we discussed how we needed units the same size, with no gaps, that we could compare with others. We realised that there was a need for standard units. Our next goal was to understand the standard units used for length, weight, and capacity.
We had lots of fun measuring things with rulers to figure out which things were one metre, 10 centimetres, 50 centimetres and one centimetre long. We made big lists of objects in the classroom to help us understand these standard unit measurements. It was fun to guess which things we thought were each length, and then to measure to check our predictions. We learnt about what ‘estimate’ means.
Mrs Thompson set us a task of weighing various items in the classroom to find exactly one kilogram. We measured different things to get to exactly one kilogram on the scales, then took a photo and shared it on seesaw as evidence. We weighed rocks, counters, books, beans and many other things. We got very good at removing and adding items to get the scales to say exactly 1kg.
Jack weighing beans
Jack finding 1kg.jpg
Our next challenge was to measure capacity. Mrs Thompson put us in groups and gave each group a variety of different shaped containers. Our first challenge was to predict which ones would hold the most water. We discussed this in our group and made a prediction, by lining them up in the order of which ones we thought would hold the least, to the most. We took a photo of the order, so that we would remember our prediction.
Photographing our prediction.jpg
Predictions for capacity 1.jpg
Predictions for capacity 2.jpg
Next, we had to figure out a way to test our prediction. This was tricky and took some of us a while to figure out. Eventually, we worked out that we could fill one container and pour it into another container to see which would hold more. It was heaps of fun pouring water between containers and testing our predictions. We soon discovered that the wide, flat containers held more than we expected. “The tall container looks big, but it doesn’t hold the most water,” exclaimed Claire.
These discoveries led to some great discussions. Next Mrs Thompson gave each group a one-litre measuring jug. We had to work out which one of our containers held the closest to one litre of water. Some of us discovered that a Chinese takeaways bowl and a yoghurt container held one litre exactly. We found that a milk bottle held two litres.
The water maths was great fun on a hot summer’s day.
Summer measurement fun.jpg
Ava and Kora measuring.jpg